![]() |
| Picture of a Temple in Chaing Mai. This has nothing to do with today's post, but I thought it looked pretty. |
Hi All,
Ever since I left my apartment this morning I have been non stop writing in my head so I decided sit down and let it all out so I can get back to my day.
This morning was lovely, but what an adventure.
It turns out that hailing a song tao is like looking for love. The harder you try, the harder it is to find one and the moment when you are finally content and decide to cross on the opposite side of the street, there are like six of them honking at you trying to pick you up. This morning I ended up walking almost 2 miles until I was finally successful.
I feel very safe walking in Lampang, but I cannot get over this feeling of being exposed. Whenever I walk alone it's not that I feel I am in danger, but I can feel every person I pass staring at me. Today I felt like an albino, some person completely different and so exotic looking that staring becomes acceptable. Every where you go you are acknowledged, and sometimes, it just sets me off into hysteria. Stop starring at me!!!
Once I was able to kick away a sense of panic that felt similar to walking naked in front of hundreds of people ( or so I imagine), I found walking to be incredibly pleasant. I had a vague idea of where I was going, I knew I had to keep heading west and I'd eventually get a song tao or just walk to my school. For the first mile I felt like I was back at Stanford, and just took a back seat while my legs did all the work.
Walking past ancient temples, seeing store owners opening up shop, watching a mother cat nurse her newborn kittens. Life seemed to be on slow motion and I was zooming through it, turning here, crossing streets there - careful! motorcycle!- watch out monk coming!
I felt so empowered walking this morning. Oh yeah! That's right! I'm a badass farang speaking Thai, knowing where I'm going. I am queen of the streets! Now, if I could just learn how to pronounce the name of the streets....
I am really looking forward to getting a nice healthy dose of exercise every morning.
......
One thing I have learned is to have a new found appreciation for the women of Thailand. It seems there is this unwritten code that women protect other women from men here. I came home early from school because I don't teach Monday's and was getting antsy sitting at my desk. While I was walking home a toothless old man driving a song pulled along side of me and started to cat call at me.
Now, I've had to deal with situations like this in San Francisco, but being in a foreign country immediately amplifies a sketchy situation into one of potential danger. I kept my head down and kept walking, feeling my heart start to race and sink into my belly button. I heard a yelp and looked up.
The female passenger sitting next to the old man in the front had rolled up a magazine she was reading and started to slap furiously at the old man head. I saw her hit him right in his toothless mouth before he sped off.
Thank you kind woman! I love you!
.....
When I came back to my apartment I spruced it up a bit (pictures, I know I know they're coming, I'm working on it jeeez). The sheets for my bed that my boss bought me are too small and so last night I slept on a pattern of cartoon sheep, cows, rabbits and teddy bears that only covered half the bed. I woke up in a cartoon cocoon feeling well rested and nice and cozy.
Yesterday I met my neighbors. They are two pigeons that sleep in the bougainvillea outside my window. I name one Villea, she is very sweet and just sits outside my window silently, sometimes purrs at me when I play guitar too loud or sing to her. The other one I named Boogie.
Boogie is the stupidest bird I have ever met in my life.
This morning the genius ran into my window, twice, for no reason. I also just witnessed him fall asleep on the perch, then fall off, freak out, run into my window again and then go back to his perch. I opened the window and yelled at him, to which he just stared at me and then awkwardly walked slowly backwards to the other side of the plant, staring at me.
I really don't understand why Villea is with him, but I suppose you could say that about most relationships.
....
One last story. When I came home early from school, I ate lunch at a nearby restaurant (sooo delicious!) and then decided to go for a walk across the bridge that is right next to our apartment. I made it to the middle of the bridge until a wooden board came loose below my foot. Nothing happened, except I that I instantly began fantasize about the bridge breaking and me breaking both femurs on impact. I calmly but quickly headed back.
Right by our apartment there are three coffee shops back to back. One thing about Thailand is that coffee and wifi are ubiquitous, but toilet paper? Forget abou' it.
I decided to go into one of the shops for a little pick me up of caffeine and then realize it was themed.
Wedding themed.
That's right friends. I found a wedding themed coffee shop, inspired by what must be a Princess Diana's 1980's floral print wedding party design. The owner is one of the nicest person I have met and we chatted while she made me a strong cappuccino as I sat under orchids and listened to several water fountains throughout the shop.
Ahh, I love Thailand.
![]() |
| This picture also has nothing to do with today's post, but I thought it was a charming way to end the email. |
Okay. Now off to apply to jobs and to run errands.
Thanks for reading and much love!
Andi


No comments:
Post a Comment