Monday, December 10, 2012

Bratty Student goes down!

My day perfectly summed up by one of the students drawings from earlier this week.



Hi All, 

Today I'm at school. I didn't sleep well from a sore throat, cough and mucous combo that made me feel as if someone was pumping helium into my forehead. In response to this cold I most likely contracted from the kindergartners I was kickin it with earlier last week, my shingles have flared up a bit. Today I stood awkwardly in the corner trying to cradle myself and put the weight off the right side of my body whilst the kiddies did their midterm presentations.

I was really disappointed in how poorly one of my lesson plans worked. I had this idea for them to write a story with three characters and then in groups of three they would act it out, have some fun and good laughs instead of having a boring final exam. 

The thing is that with over 50 kids in a class it didn't work. They need one on one speaking training to develop their presentation skills. And so I just had group after group of mumbling monotone zombies come forward for what they perceived as some sort of American death sentence rather than a game.

One cultural difference I noticed today is that it's not considered impolite in Thailand to speak while others are talking. So during the presentations, the class would be silent until someone would start their presentation at which point everyone else would burst into conversation. The presenters seemed grateful that their classmates weren't paying attention to them and I just sat back in utter wonder realizing that not everyone was raised the same way I was. Which of course is a "oh yeah, duh" moment, but still fascinating.

Today in my first class of almost 60 10th graders that I haven't taught in almost a month because of sports day. Things got intense. I feel myself learning how to strike a balance between being kind and supportive, whilst still giving off  "if you mess with me, in anyway, I promise to spend the rest of the year making your life a living hell so you best sit down and shut up". 

I found that if I move the chairs into two rows I can awkwardly drag myself between the crooked desks and have a bird's eye view of everyone. Today one of the worst girls in class had her cell phone out. 

I stormed over because I had already asked her three times to pay attention. She laughed at my face.

Oh hell no.

Did this girl really just laugh in my face? 

Oh no she did-n't!

I smiled at her and said "Give me your phone, please."

She kept laughing defiantly and stood up from her desk and leaned in towards me.

"I no have phone" she said flashed this patronizing smile.

 The whole class starter to snicker (This by the way is the same class that cut off each others hair in the hallway earlier this year.)

Am I in a movie? What is this?!

 I wanted to tell her "Do you really think I am that stupid? You are a spoiled brat now give me your phone so I can shatter it on the ground in a million pieces, publicly shame you, make you cry, and go on with the lesson."

Instead I said, "Your phone, please."

She handed me her dictionary, still smiling. Somebody needed to call an ambulance for this chick because I was about to open a can of woop ass on her.

I smiled and leaned over her (even though she was standing up I'm was at least a foot taller than her). I switched to Thai so that I knew the entire class would understand me. 

"Give me your phone right now or I will give everyone in the class a lot of hard homework."

There were gasps. Her smile dropped.

Well, well. It seems the table has turned, my friend.

I heard some students pleading with their comrade "No! Not homework! No!!"  and "Give her the phone! Give her the phone!"

The girl looked broken as she pulled out her phone from her pocket, placed it into my hand and slunk down into her chair.

HA! That's right! You sit there and look pathetic. Don't mess with me brat. I have the power not you.

After I took her phone I told her that she had to write me 20 sentences about her weekend to get her phone back. As I was writing this email, she came in and is now writing in front of me. I'm even making her rewrite the sentences. 

BAM! I just did that! Months ago I would have felt so guilty and now I feel like TEACHER ANDI: THE ENFORCER OF JUSTICE (and stuff). 


Well off to teach another class. I hope they got the memo and don't try anything stupid. Or I will crush them! Muah hahah ha ha!

Thanks for reading and much love, 
Andi


No comments:

Post a Comment